Saturday, March 2, 2013

A satisfying finish.

This one took me more than a decade, in fits and starts. I found the appliquéd hearts in the closet and decided I wasn't going to let this stay un-done.  I found enough for a lap quilt, but since I found enough sashing, post and border fabric, I had to stitch a few more hearts and make it a twin size.  I'm not sure why it took 10 years to appliqué 55 hearts, but just a week to do 17 more... 





I know I should wait for daylight tomorrow for a better photo.  But I'm too darn excited and want to share it now.

It might just be my favorite. Tomorrow, I'll start a new project. Who am I kidding? I'm planning to do some fabric cutting tonight.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful quilt! Did you hand or machine applique the hearts? I especially like the border fabric you chose.

Empty Closet Quilting said...

Thanks Nancy! The hearts were hand appliquéd. It's funny to look at the back of the hearts - I can see changes in my sewing abilities over the years. Now my mind is swirling with ideas of more complicated appliqué - maybe vines and leaves. But I imagine it will be another long-term project.